Sample Diet Ideas to Help Kids Slim Down
Here is a sample diet that is relative low in fat but high in protein and fiber.
- High fiber Toast and jam (or peanut butter or heart friendly spread)
- Oatmeal or other high fiber cereal
- Fruit or tomato with cottage cheese and toast
- Toast and egg
- Small amount of Orange juice is OK. Tea or small amount of coffee
- Sandwich with lettuce, tomato and protein (turkey, roast beef, ham, etc.)
- Have about 2 slices of meat. No cheese unless it is the protein source.
- Have celery, carrot or sliced pepper sticks while eating the sandwich.
- Have an orange, apple or other fruit.
- Drink water or seltzer.
- Have an apple or other fruit.
- Have a candy bar or another snack that’s about 250 calories
- Have two or three small cookies, a piece of cake, an ice cream cone.
- Other snack suggestions: raisin bread toast or an English muffin. If still hungry, have some fruit or celery/carrot sticks.
- Drink water, low fat milk, seltzer or light tea with the snack.
- Try to keep the “treat” calories around 250-350 calories.
- Meat, chicken, or fish, about the portion size used in French restaurants.
- Salad and a vegetable, plus some orange, apple or pear slices.
- When having pasta, sprinkle with parmesean cheese. When having pasta, have it with broccoli, green beans or other “high fiber” vegetable.
- Serve apple or other fruit slices with dinner.
- Allow seconds on vegetables and salad.
- Drink water or seltzer with the meal.
INCREASE EXERCISE throughout the day
Try to exercise a couple of times a day (walking to and back from school and using the stairs instead of elevator. Do some short, brief “exercise” in the evening while doing homework, such as a few pushups, sit ups or fast dancing. This will help ‘burn’ the afternoon carbohydrates.